Thursday, July 31, 2008

We just finished with our home inspection.
It was a surprisingly fun and informative afternoon.
It's nice to hear from a professional that our crappy new house
is actually full of potential, sturdy, and will survive much longer
than any of us will.
He lives in a 125 year old home that he's invested a lot of his own
time into, and it was really encouraging to hear his advice and positivity.
There's a part of me that fears we've bought into a Money Pit,
and I have visions of david falling through the ceiling and dangling over
the dining room floor for the evening. (ala tom hanks)
we certainly have our work cut out for us, but it's not even that bad.
a little paint, some new floors - maybe a new kitchen in the next 8 months....we'll survive.
If you've ever seen our little NYC kitchen, well, you know we've come out of the pit of hell.

On a more interesting note, we pulled up to our current abode this evening and a neighbor was standing with a guest on the street. We thought the guest was vacating the parking spot and so stopped up the street a bit. The neighbor, and we've lived here for nearly 15 months now, looked in the car and said, "are you looking for an address or a parking spot?"
HUH?
We've lived across from this person for more than a year now and have had many conversations. The same little black civic has been parked across the street from her driveway for who knows how long? All we could do was chuckle. Such is life.

3 comments:

words and streets said...

I think I know the feeling (on both instances). Our house is old but pretty solid and the advantage of doing the work yourselves is huge. I would love the kitchen of our dreams, you'll enjoy yours. And the neighbor thing? What is with that? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Procrastination said...

Congrats on the house! What a feeling to own your own land! I wish you the best of luck with all the reno and may I recommend plenty of HGTV, that is where I got all my inspiration for our reno's. It is such a feeling to look around and think, wow, I did that. I think you enjoy it a little more. Best of luck!

EEEEMommy said...

How exciting! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day and sharing your experience! I posted a response in the comments.