Thursday, July 24, 2008

I bit the inside of my lip a couple days ago and it developed into the most painful swollen sore ever. It's awful.
For some strange reason, while I was brushing my teeth tonight, I was overcome by a strange desire to scrub the sore. I did and it was so intensely painful....it's funny. I don't know why I had the urge, but I did. And now, even more strange, is that while it's still swollen and uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt as much.
I was trying to decide if the pain from the scrubbing was so bad that now the pain blanches in comparison.
But then I remembered someone once saying that it's the white part of the sore that makes it hurt and if you get rid of it, it will stop hurting.
Anyone?

3 comments:

jago invierno said...

If I get a sore in my mouth I put tons and tons of salt on it. It's incredibly painful while you're doing it and it hurts for a long time afterward but it always feels much better in the morning.

(Now that I think about it, maybe the comfort level the next morning is only significant because of the pain level the night before. I'm all of a sudden feeling disillusioned.)

d.r. lowing said...

yes brushing a sore inside your mouth (especially with salt water) is good. it's the bacteria/build-up you are scrubbing away which causes it to hurt. the mouth is the quick to heal itself. plus i think salt actually helps strengthen the gums/tissues. always works for me when i bite my inside gum. brush gently though - do not scrub.

love, your husband.

Daisy said...

useful info, since I always get sores inside my mouth, but still... yuck!