Tuesday, June 17, 2008


So Father's Day was super fun, I thought...we started the day by making dad breakfast in bed.
Sullivan and Dad enjoyed morning cocktails - whole milk for the boy and a Bloody Mary for the dad. (He's going to kill me for adding this..sorry, man.) We then took lunch up to Valley Forge, where we spent the day on a long hike around the park. I love going up there.

In other news, Sullivan is on a hunger strike. I don't know if he thinks he's Gandhi or what...maybe he's discontent with the current political state of the world? Hopefully he's not waiting for GW to be out of office. His refusal to eat makes me very upset and so I've circumvented it by fitting in food in surprising places. I basically have to hide foods in his favorite things: pancakes and eggs. He'll eat anything that's cooked into one of those.
This morning he had ricotta pancakes with berries. The boy that snubs blueberries and strawberries was munching quite contentedly on them. Once a day he has eggs with zucchini and chicken (or another combination of veggie and meat) cooked into them. He eats it with no complaint.
This is a huge pain. Why won't he just eat the effing green bean? It makes no sense. He has some extreme disdain for most things that wind up on a plate and instead of just ignoring them, he picks them up, makes a nasty face, and forcefully throws them onto the floor. Yesterday, he made a little pile of the offensive green beans, neatly stacked on top of his sippy cup.
It's a good thing he's so cute.

5 comments:

Procrastination said...

ha ha! For two weeks baby b ate only fruit smoothies. I actually didn't even feed her one day, I boycotted the high chair and gave her only fluids. The next day she ate again. What a relief that was. So I feel your pain, but I also applaud your creativity on ways to make pancakes and eggs.

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I take more of the hands off approach and say "I don't know of any child that has willingly starved to death." I think if you don't want to eat, then don't. Eventually you will eat when you are hungry enough.

words and streets said...

ooo man. yes, like clockwork, age 1 they start cutting down on the food intake. weird. Levi ate more at age 9 months than he did at a year and a half! it's a GREAT thing that he'll eat eggs, though. i definitely feel your pain, too. keep offering, keep offering, keep offering... this is what my mom kept telling me.

lover mother said...

The picture of David and Sullivan is priceless. I love it. What a great mom and wife for setting that up!

Daisy said...

I love that little word picture of Sullivan stacking his green beans! At least you can still sneak stuff in- and just remember, this too shall pass! And as a side note, today I was making some banana bread and had some spinach I wanted to use up. So I processed it and added it to 1/2 the batter. I made one loaf with, the other without. Wouldn't you know- my family loved the green banana bread, and it went before the regular one! You couldn't tell the difference between the two in taste, they were both delicious. I will definitely be doing that again!