Sunday, November 8, 2009

I got yelled at today by the oil change guy. He informed me that when he tested the level of the oil, NOTHING showed up on the stick and didn't I know how detrimental that was to the engine? So sue me.
And David, bless his heart, was able to remove and put in our new toilet today, but got stuck on the silly Ikea cabinet, and now it hangs doorless and shelfless on the bathroom wall with all of our bathroom stuff sitting in piles on the floor.
I suppose that projects seem to look worse and worse right before they are done and amazing. Our old toilet? Gross. It took 4 flushes to get a 'normal' amount of debris down the hole. You'd have thought I was tossing dirty diapers in there expecting them to neatly flush away. I'm talking 2 squares. 4 flushes. Our new toilet doesn't run....it flushes and fills in all of about 8 seconds. It's amazing. I didn't know such technology existed. It feels like such a luxury. And David is considering doing the sink tomorrow as well! Imagine that - hot water? It's been about a year....and our current sink is from about 1940 and has two faucets - one hot and one cold. I hate that. It's been so much less stressful without having to worry about the hot water, actually. In the mornings I feel like I'm living back in the 1800s, when on really cold mornings they had to crack the ice in the basin and splash icy water on their faces to freshen up. It's outrageous.
All this to say, it's great living in a house that is constantly in process. Okay...it's not always great. But at least we are kept on our toes. And we experience a tangible daily hope that I don't know I would if I were living in my dream 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bathroom home with a huge backyard and a playroom. I'll trade hope for the mansion someday. But for now I'll stick with our little suburban adventure.

2 comments:

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I think having a home that is being held together with duct tape and glue is healthy. I would love to have everything new and working, but then that would not afford the stress and worry about how and where the next paycheck was coming from to cover the last dissaster. In the end you are right though, a home, not a house or estate or fancy cars is what matters. A place to raise a family where they actually interact and challenge each other.

The developement accross the street (note: I live in the "poor" side; across the perverbeal tracts) has huge houses with 2-3 car garages. There were built 5-10 years ago and have newer technology and are more effecient. I am not going to lie, I walk by and look in the windows and secretly wish I had that. Then I see the empty dirveway as both parents work full time. The basketball hoop in the driveway of every house (read-you don't go and play at anyone else's house). Then I realize I like our smaller house with it one bathroom. Sure it is sometimes less convenient, but in the end I think we are better for it.

Good luck with the sink! Isn't a working toilet great! It is amazing how important that thing is. :-)

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I forgot to mention that oil is very important! Check it every month. 5 minutes could save you thousands in repairs later.