Tuesday, April 15, 2008

always something to worry about.
granted, my son, after time spent in the hospital and recovering at home (unable to lay on his stomach) has missed out on almost 2 months of tummy time. that's like me being bound to bed for 6 years, or something...is that math right?
so I shouldn't be surprised that he's not crawling around yet. right?
you'd think.
instead, I find myself comparing him to the other kids his age....they're almost walking...
still he sits....rolls....sort of scrunches around with his toes when he really wants to get something. (usually just food gets him moving.)
anyway, I just want to have grace for him...instead I find myself getting frustrated with him and (how awful) feeling embarrassed that my baby isn't doing what the others are!!

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I know, it is soooo easy to fall into the comparison trap. I constantly do it myself. With E I look at her friends and what they can do (academically, athletically) and find myself wondering where she is on the curve, and how I can get her to the front of the pack. For N, it is more physical-- looking at kids his age who are a head taller, and trying to reassure myself that he will be ok, no matter what his height, if he stays in the 5th percentile, or moves up to 25th. For K, I too look at what kids her age (and younger) are doing physically. Before she crawled I worried about that, now that many are walking or on the verge, and I keep reassuring myself that her first steps will come. I always have to talk myself down from the ledge. Because when you fall into the pit of comparison, it is very hard to pull yourself out. I just have to keep telling myself to be thankful that they are who they are, and that is OK.

Anonymous said...

Every baby moves at their own pace, our motto is if baby is happy, we are happy. But we too have fallen into the trap of overachieving and have found that cell phones and tv remotes get her moving (that is how I got her through a tunnel today) but a friend of mine has a little girl who started crawling at 11 months, so they all go to it at their own pace and they all turn out okay! Keep faith and cherish not having to chase them around yet, it is exhausting